What Is Mulethi?
Mulethi is also known as Licorice. There are numerous health benefits of mulethi herb. It is the herb that belongs to the legume family. Mulethi is vastly used as the flavouring agent in many items like sweets, chewing gum, toothpaste and beverages like soft drinks and beer. The dried root of the herb is used for medicinal purposes. Mulethi Herb is one of the most used herbs all over the world. It has main substance liquorice is glycyrrhizin that gives it a sweet taste. It also has many nutrients and flavonoids. Mukethi has cold potency. In this article, we will study about the health benefits of mulethi herb and its side effects.
Vitamins And Minerals In Mulethi Herb:-
The mulethi herb is a great source of various vitamins and minerals. Mulethi is also a source of B vitamins and vitamin E. It contains minerals like choline, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, calcium, selenium, silicon, potassium, selenium, silicon and zinc. It also has phytonutrients, like beta-carotene, phenol, thymol and quercetin. Mulethi can be found in Afghanistan, Iran, Russia, Egypt, Middle East, Turkistan, China, Europe and north India.
Uses Of Mulethi:-
Mulethi’s medicinal use is mainly due to its expectorant, demulcent, anti-inflammatory, anti-ulcer, laxative, antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-tumour properties. There are many benefits of mulethi. The detail info about its medicinal uses of mulethi are as below:
1. Mulethi has therapeutic effects on eyes. Hence it improves vision.
2. It also improves complexion, promotes hair growth. Also improves strength along with immunity.
3. Mulethi increases the sperm count.
4. Mulethi acts as a great medicine to cure throat disorders and improves voice quality.
5. Its anti-inflammatory properties that can heal wounds, swelling and ulcers.
6. It is an antidote for toxins and food poisoning.
7. The herb provides instant energy and relives from thirst.
8. It reduces LDL cholesterol.
9. Mulethi reduces allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma, conjunctivitis etc.
10. This miraculous herb is used in treating eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis. Else it is a good anti-depressant.
11. It improves the brain and mental health.
12. It aids in digestive problems like Acidity, Chronic Gastritis, indigestion, peptic ulcer, hepatitis, mouth ulcer, tooth decay, Ulcerative colitis, Canker sores, Constipation, duodenal ulcer, gingivitis, heartburn, and inflammation of the gallbladder.
Side Effects Of Mulethi:-
Regular intake of Mulethi herb is also not suggested. The regular intake of mulethi also results in low potassium and high sodium in the body. It can cause fluid retention in the body. Side effects only occur when the herb is taken for several months or if taken with milk. Mulethi is unsafe for pregnant women. High dose of mulethi may cause preterm delivery.
A few side effects are listed are:
1- High blood pressure
2- Low potassium in the blood
3- High sodium levels
5- Fluid retention
6- Hypertension and hypertensive encephalopathy
Health Benefits Of Mulethi Herb:-
If you are unknown from the benefits of mulethi herb, here is your information. Mulethi have so many advantages that it cannot be counted on fingertips. Have a look.
1. Enhance hair growth-
Prepare decoction of Mulethi root. Wash the hairs. It enhances the hair growth. It will make your hair softer and stronger.
How to make:
Grind mulethi with sesame seeds and buffalo milk. Apply the paste on the head. It controls hair fall.
2. Aids in Epilepsy-
In acute Epilepsy, make a powder of the plant. Give 1 teaspoon of its powder with ghee. Use this three times a day. It lowers the rate of convulsion. This treatment will also treat Epilepsy.
3. Treatment for Ulcers–
If someone is suffering from ulcer in the stomach or intestine. Just take 1 teaspoon of its root powder with a cup of milk. Take this thrice a day. It will cure ulcers in a few weeks. During the treatment, avoid taking spicy foods.
4. Treatment For Conjunctivitis-
Grind mulethi roots in water. Dip a piece of cotton in this solution. Put on the eyes. It not only cures conjunctivitis but also redness of the eyes.
5. Treats a Dry cough-
Take a teaspoon of mulethi powder with honey. Use this three times a day. It induces a cough and also treats it.
6. Cures Headache–
For a headache, mix one part of its powder with 4 parts of Kalahari powder. Add a little amount of mustard oil. Inhale this mixture. It cures a headache very fast.
7. Treats Gout–
Prepare a medicated oil of Mulethi herb root with Gambhir. Massage the affected areas and joints with it. It is a very beneficial treatment for Gout.
8. Helpful In Curing Jaundice-
Give 1 teaspoon of mulethi powder with honey. You can also prepare the decoction. Give it to the patient. It will help in Jaundice.
9. Aids Malnutrition in Infants-
If a fetus is growing very weak in the womb, do this treatment. Take equal amount of Gambhari, mulethi and sugar. Mix all of them well. Give to the mother with 15 to 20 ml of boiled milk twice a day.
10. Increases Physical strength-
Mix 1 tsp of mulethi powder with 1 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of ghee. Give it to the patient with a cup of milk daily twice in a day. Take this treatment for 6 weeks. It will improve your overall physical strength.
featured image source: netchanting.com
=> Also check: Best Way To Cure Haemorrhoids At Home