The belly button is also called “Navel”. It is a scar mark on the abdomen which is the sign where your umbilical cord was once attached. It has no important role in the function of our body, else it had the most important part of your birth. In this article, you will come to know the interesting facts about your belly button.
It is the area of the body that gets very less attention. But, you have to be careful in keeping it neat and clean. The belly button is a breeding ground of sweat, bacteria and other various unpleasant substances. Researchers have said that the average belly button possesses 67 different types of bacteria.
Amazing And Interesting Facts About Your Belly Button:
There is a great need to keep your belly button clean. Innie belly buttons and the belly buttons with piercings have very high chances to get infected if you don’t take care of the cleanliness of belly button.
Oil Your Belly Button As It Is Connected To Liver:
How to properly clean your belly button?
Sometimes, you may have noticed that some dirt, lint or some sweaty types of substances build up in your belly button. You have to clean them out. Here are some ways to clean your belly button.
- Every time you take a shower, don’t forget to clean your belly button. Even plain soap or even water can clean out your belly button easily.
- The deeper and innie belly button get more dirt in them as compared to the outer belly button. Just dip your finger or any washcloth in saltwater and massage in your belly button. It will loosen the grime.
- Don’t use lotion or moisturizers as they can increase bacterial growth.
- If you have a piercing, put a cloth dipped in table salt mixture to compress your skin.
Why does belly button smell?
Several various factors cause discharge and smell in the naval. Though, if you have a very slight odour in your belly button, it is normal. If there is foul smell along with discharge, it can be the sign of various factors like.
- Bacterial infection of the belly button.
- Fungal or yeast infection of the belly button.
- Build up of dirt and sweat can also cause the smell in the belly button.
- Any wound or bruise inside or around the belly button.
Symptoms of infected belly button:
If you do not take good hygiene care of the belly button, it may sometimes get infected. There are various common symptoms of a belly button infection or any type of other allergic reactions. For example:
- Blistering around the navel or piercing
- Green, yellow or dark coloured discharge
- Itchy and red skin around the navel
- Foul smells
- Pain around piercing
Some people develop some stone-like masses inside their belly button. They are known as omphalitis or umboliths. These can fill up the entire belly button and it can lead to infection, inflammation, or ulcerated skin. To avoid any type of infection, it is very important to keep your belly button clean as possible.
Points to ponder in the prevention of the belly button infection:-
- Be sure when you are showering, not forget to clean your belly button. There is no need to scrub it, but water should remove all dirt, lint or bacteria from the belly button.
- Outtie belly button is probably pretty clean. But, deeper ones can have difficulty in the cleanliness of the naval. Deeper belly buttons want more care than the outer belly buttons.
- Don’t apply lotions and other moisturizing creams.
How to clean the belly button piercings?
If you have undergone a naval piercing, the cleanliness of the belly button can be more challenging. The naval piercings take about six months to heal. In this span of time, you have to very careful that your belly doesn’t get infected.
The salt solution is very helpful in this situation. Wet a cloth in the solution. Apply it to the area of piercing as a warm compress several times a day. It will allow you to gently move the jewellery through the piercing. Any type of discharge or crust will also remove easily. Pat it with a dry cloth when you are finished.
Keep one thing in mind that if your belly button still smells after taking all the hygienic measures, you should immediately consult your doctor. If redness, swelling, itching or pain develop in the belly button, it means it is infected. Then there is a need for antibiotics or other treatment to overcome this problem.
Types of belly buttons:
Every human being is born with a belly button. It is the scar on our body that always reminds us that how our mother is so much important in giving us birth. The belly buttons come in different shapes and sizes. As people differ in facial features from others. They also differ in shapes of naval too. Each belly button is surprisingly unique. It tells a lot about your health and personality. Here are different types of belly button and check out which one is you.
Button-like naval or bulged belly button:
This type of belly button may put you at risk of a hernia. This belly button is like you have a big button on your abdomen or you are lifting something heavy.
Bulged with U-form:
It is known to be the most beautiful shape of a belly button. But, it doesn’t mean that also not suffers any health problems. It indicates the person’s risk of having skin or kidney disease. Children are less likely to be born with genetic abnormalities if they occupy bulged with u-form naval.
People that have tucked naval are said to have the weight problems. These people might suffer from stomach problems too like constipation or indigestion.
This type of belly button shape means that people that occupy the almond-shaped are more likely to experience migraines and muscle pain. Researchers have also observed bone weakness in people with an almond shape.
People that tend to have slightly bulged belly button are said to be prone to a flu virus, so be careful.
featured image source: irishmirror.ie
=} Also check: Benefits Of Ispaghol-Psyllium Husk